Friday, August 24, 2012

Back in Moscow Again


Good Morning All,
Although it just after noon here in Moscow, I know it's about 4am back at home. Obviously we made it back to Moscow safely. We did try to get on the wrong train in Tula but the car manager was having none of it and told us in no uncertain terms (although we couldn't understand a word of it) that we were NOT getting on her train car. With a little more questioning from other passengers though we managed to figure out which train we had tickets for and get all settled in safely in plenty of time for leaving. Last time we just made it with Shannon running along and throwing his suitcase up the train steps as it was rolling along. This time was much calmer and the ride was pleasant and uneventful -  just the way we like it.    Below is a view of Red Square with the Kremlin on the right.... just because I'm talking about Moscow again.


Wednesday, as we got back to Moscow, I called Alex and Natasha and invited them to the hotel to have dinner with us. We were tired from the trip and didn't really feel like leaving the hotel to eat and the Sereogins don't have much chance to get out for a very nice sit-down meal in a nice restaraunt so I think it worked out well for everybody.  Below is Dasha and Elijah as they were waiting with their parents in the lobby for all of us to come down and go to dinner.


Alex has been having trouble getting his new MacBook to conncect up with his internet Wi-Fi but he finally got it working while we were in Tula with a little help from his friendly Mac tech. Same with his IPad. Since they were now working, however, he brought his IPad along to dinner and afterwards we all went up to the rooms where it was a little quieter so that Shannon could share some downloadable Bible research sites as well as some read-only sites that Alex can now use to help him in his studies. Can you spell "Tech toys for boys"?


While the guys surfed the internet for awhile the ladies chatted each other up.


Even Susan got in on it, although she pretended to be a little camera shy here.


Yesterday, Thursday, everyone wanted to take a few hours and play the shopping tourist for a bit before our evening study meeting at the Sereogins. While the Shaffers went to Arbot Street, the Whites/McMurrays went to the GUM (prononuced goom) across the square from the Kremlin. Originally built as a stockade in the 1500's to protect traders, the building that now stands was built in the 1800's and except for a few years when Lenin turned it into an office building it has remained a center for retail sales up to thre present. It is three floors high and three aisles wide and packed with designer names and you can imagine how we stocked our baggage full of $800 skirts, $1000 shoes, $500 jeans and $300 baby outfits for our granddaughter.... NOT!  :-)  Here's a limited view of the place anyway.


Last evening Shannon led the study at Alex's while Lorna and I visited with my brother whom I haven't seen in a couple years, since he was incountry visiting my parents one New Years. We had a nice dinner at a Ukranian Restaraunt near his flat and I did my regular duty of reminding him that he is out of service to the Lord and could be of great benefit to the church in Moscow if only he would see his way clear to straighten out his attitude. He reminded me that this was the same sermon he heard from me 16 years ago (and every visit since), but I continue to hold out hope for him. I suppose it's just becasue he's my brother and I love him. He and his Russian wife, Lyuba, are always very kind to us, however, and will do anything to help us if needed, while we are on the ground here. 

I suppose that I should get to my studies now since I am leading the study this evening. Our plan is for the Shaffers and McMurrays to take the train to Tula Sunday morning to be there to rent the conference hall in the hotel for the evening service once more. Vernon and Susan will hold the fort down here in Moscow and Vernon will speak here while I speak in Tula. Monday the train should bring us all back together again, and Tuesday early, we are supposed to fly out. This trip is quickly coming to an end and details about continued work at home partnering with the Christians here is being gathered. I appreciate so much the contact that many have made with the group telling us of your prayers and thoughts on our behalf.

Note to Steve Dunn...thanks for picking up my bike and you better NOT have tried to peg the needle on that speedometer. lol

Note to Sarah, my favorite daughter... silly girl, FaceTime is the apple equivalent of Skype only it takes less bandwidth so the contact is better. I can't seem to use so much of my communication here, but I can use my IPod Touch for facetime. Download it girl, onto your Mac. My facetime contact is the same as my email. Enter it in and give me a call.











1 comment:

  1. Okie dokie, I have this "facetime" that you speak of....You won't believe the way I got it.... Love yous guys!

    ReplyDelete